This is Pete, a six year old Asian Water Monitor (Varanus salvator). He loves to pose for the camera and bask in his hot sunroom. We'll see more of Pete in the future as he continues to roam around our home.
Magnificent creature. I do encounter them occasionally in the wild, and it's always an awesome sight to see one of the giant individuals out and about.
Are Asian water monitors being bred in captivity, or is the supply still dependent on wild-caught specimens?
I'd love to see any photos you have of them in their native land!
I believe the are (unfortunately) being bred in captivity, but they are also still (unfortunately) still being imported from the wild. Such a beast doesn't deserve to be kept indoors! Poor Pete gets bored with his 9' X 20' sunroom (with 6' diameter stock tank) and paws repeatedly at the window to come out and get to explore the rest of the house. We oblige him this a couple of times a week.
2 comments:
Magnificent creature. I do encounter them occasionally in the wild, and it's always an awesome sight to see one of the giant individuals out and about.
Are Asian water monitors being bred in captivity, or is the supply still dependent on wild-caught specimens?
I'd love to see any photos you have of them in their native land!
I believe the are (unfortunately) being bred in captivity, but they are also still (unfortunately) still being imported from the wild. Such a beast doesn't deserve to be kept indoors! Poor Pete gets bored with his 9' X 20' sunroom (with 6' diameter stock tank) and paws repeatedly at the window to come out and get to explore the rest of the house. We oblige him this a couple of times a week.
Post a Comment